gold confetti

Monday, February 8, 2021

Monster Jam!

I'm back! It's been a month and I told myself that I was going to quit blogging after Sully's 5th birthday (next week) but then I started to feel guilty that I missed out on a big event in his life and I want it for the memory books.  And that lead me to think "well, there are going to be a lot of 'big events' in life that you'll want to have published and preserved for memories, so quitting the blogging world cold turkey sounds like a sad idea."  Therefore, this is going to be the year that I only blog about events that I think we need to hold onto in our memories :). I truly don't have time to blog as much as I used to!

But this most current event that I'm talking about is Monster Jam.  Yes- the big Monster Trucks that crush cars and shake the buildings that they are in- the ones that used to be only popular among a "certain kind of crowd" (aka, rednecks, if I'm being honest, hahaha!).  Now, Monster Trucks are all the rage among kids.  It's INSANE! Go walk through any toy aisle in any store and you'll see Monster Trucks galore! Sully has quite the collection!

And, if you know my boy, you know he lives and BREATHES Monster Trucks. This is an obsession that might just be bigger than my girls’ obsession with “Frozen” and “My Little Pony” at his age... When Tulsa cancelled their Monster Jam show back in March, he cried and cried. 9 months later, Shawn found one in Houston, Texas and surprised him with it. Shawn said he literally couldn’t contain his excitement when they walked into the ‘Pit Party’ and he saw the trucks in front of him. He was, quite frankly, freaking out! (The Pit Party was an add-on that we purchased because it's where you get to walk around and see all the trucks just a few feet away from you. You also get to take your little Monster Trucks that you've brought from home and play in the actual dirt piles that the BIG real trucks drive on!)

When we told him where he was going only 2 days before they left, picture Kevin McCallister excitedly running around the house when he thinks he made his family disappear in Home Alone🤣😅. Sully was ECSTATIC. He told me he had “the most ginormously best day EVER!” after it was all over. He was literally in Heaven. If you ever see him, ask him to tell you the names of the Monster Trucks he likes best. You might not be able to get him to stop talking😁 So happy for this little boy! (And his dad 😜)

Shawn is a sentimental guy when it comes to his kids and he told me he was almost in tears when he was watching Sully's excited face throughout the day. It sounds like it was the best day ever!

*Little story that is funny and frustrating all at the same time! 2 days before the event, I realized that Sully had nothing "Monster Truck-ish" to wear! All his clothes with trucks on them are PJs. So I searched Amazon to find one that would hopefully be delivered in time before they left. Shawn told me they had to leave for the airport at 1pm. I thought "oh good, Amazon always delivers around 12pm so we will be good to go!" Well, in true Shawn fashion (he does this EVERY SINGLE TRIP WE TAKE) he gets anxious and comes up with excuses why actually we need to leave earlier than normal. I kept asking him to just wait because Sully's shirts said "out for delivery" and I wanted him to have them SO badly! But no. Shawn is weird in that way and he knows that this is a trait of his that drives me nuts. We always get to airports way too early and sit and wait around forEVER. Anyway, he forced us all to leave extra early and when we were halfway to the airport my phoned buzzed that Sully's shirts had been delivered (it was at 12:30 so we barely missed it!). I asked if we could turn around because they'd still get to the airport SO early, but "no! We're already halfway there- I'm not wasting gas to turn around. Then we will for sure be late." Fast forward 20 minutes and I drop the boys off at the airport (so early!) and decide "you know what? I'm going to go back to our house, get the shirts and bring them back to the airport." (Also- the airport was a ghost town. No line for anything so yeah, they got to their gate over an hour early, and that's when I just keep my mouth shut because if I said "I TOLD you we didn't have to leave so early." or "see- we could have turned around!" it would just make him mad). So I zipped my lips and drove home, retrieved the shirts off my porch, drove back to the airport with 2 sisters that were surprisingly encouraging me to do this for their brother and called Shawn telling him "I need you to come back out through security to get these shirts." He didn't want to go through security all over with Sully, so he went up to someone working near the security gates, told them his wife had something he needed for the trip, and would they mind letting me go inside and giving it to someone at the check-in desks to bring it to him? They said "no she doesn't have to go over there. We will go out and get it from her." Perks of living in a friendly place, right?! The security workers came and got the package from me and brought it into Shawn and he handed it to Sully, who SCREAMED in excitement when he tore open the package and saw 3 Monster Jam shirts. Everyone around him was so happy for him, and it made alllll worth it..... I'll do almost anything for my kids, including spending 2 hours in a car just so they get some new shirts for an event, haha!

Anyway, Shawn and him only stayed 2 nights so it was a very quick trip. But it was one that my 2 boys (one 37, one 5) will never, EVER forget!

(While the boys were gone, the girls had a little "girls night" complete with The Sound of Music, hot tubbing, face masks, nails and lots of popcorn!)
Also, my greatest guy had a birthday last week! He turned 37 and says he's definitely feeling the aches and pains that come with it! At least he has a couple of years left before he's officially "old." In all seriousness though, February 4th belonged to him and I hope he enjoyed it a bit even though it was a cold and boring work day. We did get out and went to Hibachi for dinner, which the kids LOVED, and his annual King Cake was as delicious as ever! It took 3 days for Sully to finally get the baby on the very last slice! Happy birthday to this man that I love with all my heart!
ONE LAST THING:
The blog books I always talk about? I just had our 2020 one printed. The kids LOVE them. They'll spend hours looking through them.  They basically look like big yearbooks. We keep them under the coffee table so they can look at them whenever they want :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are Welcome- Thanks for stopping by!